AP Photo/Alex Brandon
- Former President Donald Trump has returned to Facebook.
- On Friday, Trump used the platform to share a 12-second campaign video.
- Trump had been suspended from Facebook following the January 6 insurrection.
For the first time since he was suspended for inciting violence on January 6, 2021 — and since Meta said in January that it would be lifting that suspension — former President Donald Trump has returned to using Facebook, posting a brief campaign video just days before a potential grand jury indictment in New York.
“I’M BACK!” the former president posted above the 12-second video, which urges viewers to support his 2024 campaign for the White House.
Facebook parent company Meta had suspended Trump after the January 6 insurrection, citing his praise of violent rioters that sought to overturn the 2020 election at his behest. At the time, the company said his actions constituted a “severe violation of our rules.”
The company said this January, two years after the insurrection, that it was lifting the ban, stating that “the public should be able to hear what politicians are saying so they can make informed choices.”
His return comes amid speculation that he may be indicted, as soon as next week, over the 2016 payment his fixer at the time, Michael Cohen, made to adult film star Stormy Daniels.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.