Audio Posts and Shared Links Audio Sources - Full Text Articles

An ex-aide to former GOP Gov. Larry Hogan was shot dead in a confrontation with the FBI after a 3-week manhunt on fraud charges

Roy McGrathRoy McGrath.

Pamela Wood/The Baltimore Sun/Tribune News Service via Getty Images

  • A one-time top GOP aide died after a confrontation with the FBI in Tennessee on Monday.
  • Roy McGrath, who was charged with fraud, failed to show up in court and went missing for three weeks.
  • Its unclear whether he was shot by the FBI, or if he shot himself.

A one-time top aide of former GOP governor Larry Hogan died of a gunshot wound on Monday night, after FBI agents caught up with him following a three-week manhunt, per multiple reports. 

Roy McGrath died in a Tennessee hospital after agents opened fire at an intersection in Farragut, a town west of Knoxville, according to The Baltimore Banner.

It’s unclear whether he was hit by the FBI or whether he shot himself, the outlet reported. 

On March 13, McGrath, who was accused of federal wire fraud and embezzlement charges, failed to show up for the start of his trial. He was soon deemed a fugitive by US Marshals, as CBS Baltimore reported, with a warrant issued for his arrest.

McGrath worked as the CEO of Maryland Environmental Service before becoming Hogan’s chief of staff in 2020, but he soon came under criticism for the hefty severance package he received from his earlier job, as The Baltimore Sun reported at the time.

In October 2021, the Department of Justice announced federal and state charges of embezzlement and wire fraud against McGrath, saying that he had tricked the Environmental Service into approving the $233,647.23 payout. 

McGrath’s lawyer Joseph Murtha told The Washington Post that “the loss of Roy’s life is an absolute tragedy, and I think it’s important for me to say that Roy never wavered about his innocence.”

After McGrath went missing, the US Marshals Service and the FBI teamed up to offer a $20,000 reward for information on his whereabouts.

Around 6.30 p.m. on Monday, FBI agents encountered McGrath at an intersection and opened fire, The Baltimore Banner reported, citing the FBI. It wasn’t clear how they were led to him, the paper reported.

One onlooker, Jon Housley, told the publication that there was a large police presence and that both side windows of the vehicle had been shot out.

CBS News reporter Mike Hellgren posted pictures from the scene:

—Mike Hellgren (@HellgrenWJZ) April 4, 2023


In a statement Monday night, the FBI said it was reviewing an agent-involved shooting, the Post reported. 

Former Governor Hogan released a statement on Monday saying: “We are praying for Mr. McGrath’s family and loved ones,” per the Post.

A week after McGrath’s disappearance, a self-published e-book went on sale titled “Betrayed: The True Story of Roy McGrath,” the first in a two-part series whose description says he was “relentlessly and unfairly harassed by the very government and colleagues he had faithfully served.”

A man claiming to be the author, named as Ryan C. Cooper, told the Post that the book was written on the basis of “half a dozen or so conversations” with McGrath.

Read the original article on Business Insider
WP Radio
WP Radio